School's Out for Good

9pm, the sun's high, and all I can hear is the sound of the little guys chomping away on their cereal treats. We took a trip to Walmart and Lowe's, mostly to get out of the house but also because I found some things I had intended to return but had forgotten about until I cleaned out my cupboards. I'm not used to running errands with the kids so it was fun to take them out; everyone thinks they're the cutest things on earth so we end up engaging in conversation with many.

School was done yesterday. De-cluttering began yesterday also. After two full days at home (albeit 2 trips to great-grandma Carol's and 1 surprise visit from grandpa Bob), we all needed to get out. School, these last 4 years, has been wonderful for me. Deadlines, challenges, and a community of people. Looking forward, I will have to accomplish a new set of goals.

Now, they're communicating in quiet screams. One says, "Aaaah." The other says, "Eeeeh." It's cute, not annoying. They do this in the car also, little screeches and talking in gibberish, which is highly entertaining for both of them. They giggle at each other a lot while I'm driving.

30 minutes later . . . we've relocated to the bath. 4th bath today. Apparently, the organic whole cow's milk yogurt is a bit too high in lactose or fat because something upset the babe's microbes and he's been pooping every time he eats, which is pretty much all of the time. He drinks a lot of organic whole and eats a lot of fruits and veggies anyway, so actually I'm surprised this hasn't happened sooner. Poor red butt. And being the sensitive child he is he screams bloody murder each time he poops. When I pick him up he holds his legs together. He is not a happy camper, but I am sure all will be well with the world by tomorrow or the next day. It's reminiscent of the new-born days, except this time he's crying for a real reason.

The boys are pretending they are driving a "choo choo" train, making train noises and giggling, in the bath.

Now, 9:45. One is asleep and the other is going to help me clean downstairs before his bedtime.

Dad has been working for almost 2 weeks now on his 35 night stint and we're quite adjusted. The first 2 nights for me were hard, just as during any of his normal 7 day nightshifts. We see him in the mornings; he makes me coffee and sometimes breakfast and a fire.

I rejoined "Mod Mamas and Trendy Tots" today, a Meetup.com group that I was kicked off of 2 years ago due to my lack of participation. I have a great group of mom friends, but one lives far away, one has a newborn, two more are very pregnant, and others are busy with work, school, and older children. I am becoming quite bored and unsatisfied with Facebook and think often of quitting. This is a group of about 50 moms, who are quite active in the community. I'll go swimming with them on Friday. Just like the hiking club or the biking club or going to yoga, doing something with a group for me is impetus to get out, even if I would be just as happy doing the activity alone with my kids or solo.

About Me

My photo
Fairbanks/North Pole, Alaska, United States