I keep journals for my kids. I have a lot of entries early on, but lately the entries are about 6 months apart. Writing to two kids is much more work than writing to one, and there are twice as many distractions. The main problem for me is actually that since the only thing I write on paper with a pen is grocery lists, I have a hard time writing as quickly as I think anymore. Here is what I type to you tonight, my dears.


My older boy, you can dress yourself. You take commands like a champ and give them just as well. You are beginning to become quite inquisitive and are taking things to the next level. Lately, you are interested in feeding your brother and washing his hair in the bath. While we were outside playing tonight, you weren't anymore interested in playing in the sandbox, riding bike, or exploring the playground. You wanted to explore the woods with me instead. You've been always up for an adventure, which makes you my kind of guy. The other night you walked a mile and half with me in less than an hour without effort. You just announced "Just me and my mom,"from my bed, where you are waiting for me to read. It is the title of one of the books from your grandma Gigi. This series of "Little Critter" books by Mercer Mayer books are the only books you will allow me to read anymore. Even though you don't admit to liking hugs and keep your distance, I know you are a sensitive guy because of all of the demands you make and because these books are all about feelings and dealing with tough stuff in life. You have the best imagination in the world and you definitely don't get it from me. You have beautiful, thick, white hair that grows really quickly, which you obtained from both me and your dad. You are dense, which means you probably have good bones and muscles, and you still have some baby chub on your cheeks, which makes you particularly handsome. If you're like me, you'll have that until you're in middle school. You're starting to take a liking to songs although I don't think you will have much rhythm or ear; maybe you'll prove me wrong.
My sweet baby who loves hugs and kisses, you are sleeping so well since I weaned you just before 15 months. I can't believe how quickly you've grown. You learn new skills before I can even think of them because you're smart, you have an older sibling to watch, and because you were born 2 months ahead of your brother in the calendar year. You can entertain yourself extremely well. You have no problem tackling the outdoors. You can already shovel sand into a cup, bathe in the big bath with your brother, and walk up and down hills. You like to climb things and are pretty brave, but sometimes you get upset when you can't figure out how to get out/down by yourself (right). You to my surprise are extremely well-adjusted around new people, even adults. Some say you are a flirt because you have a great smile that you aren't afraid to show. You have said a few words other than Mama and Dada. I think Da for Dog. Caca for Cracker. And Shh for Fish or Shoe, maybe a few others. You hold your feet up and ask me to put your socks, pants and shoes on. You get me some food from the cupboard if you're still hungry after I've stuffed you. You can really pack away the food. You're almost 16 months and you show when you're upset but scrunching up your face. I think for the most part we communicate well and I don't see you becoming a child who throws tantrums but a patient one instead. Your hair is thin, soft, a bit curly, and light brown. You have your brother's light hazel eyes and my thin body, but you are larger in overall build than your brother was at your age. I give you probably a hundred kisses every day. When you won't let me anymore, I'll have to do it when you're asleep, like I do to your brother sometimes.