Waiting for Spring



Well, there actually hasn't been any waiting for anything around here. I'm not sure where the last 6 months of winter have gone, but they're gone. There's little snow, and the river is fluid again.

Refineries age and every three years or less there is a "turnaround" maintenance period where everyone works every day or every night for over a month. So, I'm not too proud to say I'm at the library blogging while my kids are at the babysitter, just so I can have a break. It's only day 3 of 35 so that's not saying much for my single-mom capabilities. I know I will learn to do just fine, but not having my better half around has left me quite sleepless at night and tired during the day. I am thankful that today it is finally cloudy and a bit rainy and that the everlasting sun decided to take a short break. It's nice to have a lazy, rainy day every so often.

Soup season is gone and puddle season is flying by us. The front yard is very wet, but the quickly thawing ground and trees are happy to absorb the moisture. Harley and his little buddy are happy to sport their new wagon from grandma Linda around the neighborhood. Seriously, I've never seen a baby so happy. And the brother in blue is having quite a time splashing, throwing rocks in puddles, and discovering reflections and shadows in water that until recently didn't exist. In two days, he's already fallen and drenched himself three times.

Oh, the taxidermy. Yes, my husband's hobby from time to time. This one is special 1) because it's a buffalo instead of a moose 2) getting a buffalo tag in AK is a once-in-a-lifetime opportunity 3) his uncle and grandfather got one the year before his grandfather passed away on his uncle's birthday, St. Patrick's day. I ordered the metal plaque for it to display a photo of the two of them with their kill, so I feel like I made a small contribution.


About Me

My photo
Fairbanks/North Pole, Alaska, United States