Our trip to Vancouver was the best of the best. Yes, our condo was expensive. But, it was nice. It was great to only have to care for 800 square feet of space and it was convenient that we had all the amenities and more at our home away from home. I don't know if I could stay in a hotel again . . . not that I remember the last time I vacationed in a hotel. I don't think I ever have. I'd rather stay home in my nice house.
The city and the people (in my opinion) were also the best of the best. It is one of the most densely populated cities in North America. Most people don't drive cars or own houses. Oh, poor Americans who are losing their 3,000 square foot homes . . . NOT. They live in sky-rises and walk. And they are happy. And they are kind. I could move to Vancouver in a heart-beat. It's green. It's wooded. It's modern. They have 4 seasons. It's a great place for adults, and it's great for kids. Their Science World really puts the Science Museum of Minnesota to shame. A great aquarium, a touristy market, felafels, Thai, authentic burritos, ski resorts, good coffee, shopping . . . all spell heaven to me and my family. And, get this, their television news has substance to it.
Anyway, no wonder Vancouver and Whistler were chosen to host the 2010 Winter Olympic Games.
What a happy trip. Here are some photos:
Vancouver
Big trees, canyons, suspension bridges
Little Canadian playing in condo
Grouse Mountain, a ski resort
Whistler
Aquarium
Last but not least, this is my Sadie girl, a friend from college who is now my neighbor in Alaska. She cared for our house and our dog Harley for a good part of the month. Thanks! We get to watch her kitties in return :) She loves her new Canadian snowboarding sweatshirt!
By the way, I would recommend vacationing during Christmas. We avoided the consumerism and the receiving of gifts that no one really likes anyway. We spent our money on what we wanted to do and that was our gift to ourselves, our family. In addition, it was an excellent way to break up the winter!