Whoa, Baby

So, my initial fear was that our baby would be born out of state or even out of country prior to 32 weeks, but now my fear is that our baby will be born prior to 34 or even 36 weeks. I read, 98% of 32 week old babies survive and 99% of 34 week old babies survive. However, 36 weeks is the better cutoff as really my babies run about 1/2 week big and 37 weeks is considered full-term.

As I suspected, but who can know these things but a doctor, the baby is very low. As a matter of fact, I am certain that for the last 5 weeks minimum (since week 27) the head has been down. There were brief moments in the last 5 weeks that I felt pressure on my ribs and shortness of breath, but during this pregnancy there was not any distinction between before and after the baby dropped or engaged its head in my pelvis. It just happened as quickly as the head went down I guess. While I'm not missing the feeling of a huge belly, the shortness of breath, and the constant rib jabs that come with holding the baby high, having the baby's head constantly pushing its way through my pelvis is not fun either.

I want this baby to stay in as long as possible, so I'm playing the gravity game. I am lying down as much as I possibly can. And let me tell you, it does feel a lot better to do this. Still, I can't help but believe this will only help so much and the baby is just going to come out if he feels like coming out.

So, hang in there, baby. Two more weeks wouldn't kill you. I know we're all like expert travelers at this point, but Anchorage Neonatal Intensive Care Unit wasn't on my list of places to visit. So, just hang in there. Dr. Hess will soon be back from vacation, and the longer you stick around, the more likely it is he'll let you stay home in Fairbanks with us. Besides, you are too young to be riding in helicopters.

About Me

My photo
Fairbanks/North Pole, Alaska, United States