Feeling Big and Bah Humbug

So, I'm 31 weeks pregnant today, only 1 week away from my goal of 32! That's a funny goal, isn't it? Well, I'm so small in structure that I feel like it's hard for me to hold the babies of a 6 foot, 200+ pound daddy for a full 37 weeks. With my last pregnancy, I made it to 36.5 weeks before my water burst so quickly that my stomach shrunk to half the size in an hour. Why 32? Well, after 32 weeks it's likely the baby won't have to take a vacation in a special neonatal hospital . . . far from home: Anchorage or Seattle, an hour or four hour plane ride away. Also, I'll be back at home in Fairbanks before week 32, so I will not be stuck in MN far from daddy or in Canada w/o insurance and a dual citizen preemie w/o a passport and unable to fly home!

Anyway, I am REALLY feeling pregnant these days. I can tell the baby is gaining its 1/2 pound a week now and is growing longer. This baby feels just like the last one did at this time (head down and very low): hiccups several times a day that originate in my pelvis, no rolling or turning, just stretching of the legs/butt/back up in my rib cage. My legs feel like they are 100 pounds each. I have pelvic pain and pressure even when I am lying down. And it is very difficult to walk and catch my breath even when traveling only short distances. My clothes don't fit.

One of my friends was so surprised that we aren't doing Christmas gifts this year. It's not that we're anti-Christmas. Actually, it's normally my favorite holiday: I think more because of the family time it involves than because of the gifts. We've spent so much time with our immediate family lately, there has been so much going on with us traveling for pleasure and work, with my husband teaching, my class, and with the baby coming soon. I guess people just can't relate. I heard that someone wanted to set up our tree for us at our house so it would be there when we get back. All I could think is if you put it up, you better take that thing down! I don't want to see or deal with that thing--however gorgeous it is! I have things to see and do and none of them involve Christmas trees!

This is the first time I've been alone in over a month--since November 18th, when my son last went to his babysitter. My husband and son are playing in a locomotive and my parents are riding bikes around the city. First on my list: hot shower. Second: start my new book.

About Me

My photo
Fairbanks/North Pole, Alaska, United States