Our Yard


The yard itself is really green and has been push mowed more times this June than it has all of the other summers combined.  This is due to a good summer with pretty consistent rain and probably deeper roots and more native grasses too now that it's been planted for five summers.

I love simple, practical gifts.  
The Easter bunny left these birdhouses,
and we each had a great time decorating one.

It was a rainy day yesterday so I thought a good time to take photos of our first substantial garden.  I love that it is right next to the playground.  Our 4 year old knows what every single plant is and helps me to care for them.  After a little over a month of growth, some things are doing great and some are coming along slowly (kale, chard, carrots in way back bed).  Due to temperature differences between beds and between areas within beds, I think I will do a little rearranging of seeds next year.
Above, we have onions, cabbage, peas, edible sunflower. 

Strawberries, herbs, cauliflower, broccoli                     Lettuce, beans, tomatoes                

Potatoes, Beans, Carrots

My husband started our well casing.   
Perhaps there will be room to plant something edible there also.

And finally here is the woodshed that my husband designed and built last summer.
Each of the five sections stores just over 3 cord birch, white spruce, or aspen and it is almost full.

About Me

My photo
Fairbanks/North Pole, Alaska, United States