I ended up submitting two series of photos for my final photography class project because a chinook was expected to arrive when I was scheduled to reshoot my original idea: "A Painter's Work" ... or something like that. I am not good with titles. In fact, they canceled public school, a day in advance because of the expected icy roads and snowfall ... but it really never came. The roads were fine and I was able to make it to the painting studio at the university for a second shooting of my friend painting. The images turned out very well considering I had to keep the existing fluorescent light on because there were always other artist working in the space and supplement that light with 3 large halogen lights. In an Adobe camera RAW program, I was able to adjust this harsh light and make it more natural. This actually is a little variation of the series that I submitted. This one fits better in webspace because they are all vertical.
I also completed the other idea: "Night Comforts." This idea began as I grabbed a bottle of milk in the night for my son using only the fridge light. I thought to myself that there are a lot of things that keep us up at night-- dogs, bathroom breaks, noisy streets--and they all have dim light that would be neat to capture with long-exposure. The idea quickly changed from night annoyances basically to night comforts because my original series had a toilet in it and it just didn't seem to fit. Here are some fairly universal night comforts lit by firelight, fridgelight, candlelight, barlight, and flashlight. In this series, I wish I had used more negative space. My best photos, which had a lot of negative space, were not included because one of a blanket on a bedpost lit by hall light was too light and the other of a beautiful blue bottle of of Bombay (which I've probably never tried before but it's pretty nevertheless) did not have a cracked open bottle. All of the other ideas are "in progress" so a closed bottle didn't fit as well as one poured into a glass.









