Annex Inspiration

When I arrived at the Annex, it was raining. Therefore, instead of photographing myself in front of the gallery using my tripod as I had planned, I allowed my three year old to help. He doesn't have unique perspective necessarily; it's just that that a DSLR is pretty hefty for him to handle and this was his first and only shot.

There were only about 4 photographs displayed at the Annex. However, a black and white by Herb Melchior was relevant to this week's discussion of shutter speeds. He displayed some sort of thicket, which was crystal clear, and used a long shutter speed to cause the rain to flow through it. My first thought when it comes to rain is to "stop" it using a very fast shutter speed, but creating flow, like one would for a waterfall, river, or fire using a long shutter speed, looked lovely here in the case of rain as well. Of course, as soon as I arrived home, the rain had stopped. We have been having some lousy weather, neither sunny nor rainy. The leaves have fallen, and I am having trouble finding inspiration out there.

The aperture assignment that we did was not very challenging for me. I felt like I already had a good handle on the differences between small and large apertures and the differences in depth of field that result. Some of the ideas that ran through my head for days, like photographing a field full of cows or trees in a burn area, did not really work out as well as I'd hoped because for example the cows were too far away or the weather was not good when I arrived at the scene to create nice photos of various depths. However, I have a number of ideas for the shutter speed assignment that involve objects/instances that I can find at home which should be more feasible to attain for a mom with two small children: aurora, candle light, steam, water, bubbles, fireworks, fog, night light, and stars.

About Me

My photo
Fairbanks/North Pole, Alaska, United States