Mind Games

I'm sitting in the most popular Fairbanks coffee house waiting for my foamy white chocolate mocha. The room is full of zest and personality. It's not like Seattle, where you walk into a Starbucks and encounter the busy working adult on-the-go stop drop in and sneak out. You have part-time professionals, lovers, book groups, college students, and elderly, mostly all taking their time. Fairbanks breeds such positive, but relaxed, energy, even when it is -30F and only 12 hours of sunlight preside (as opposed to 24).

I am going to mention my recent dreams, mostly because I usually don't have dreams. I dream during periods that I get slightly more sleep than I have been getting. For example, when a newborn baby starts sleeping longer, after a stomach bug has gone through the household, or after I've been working hard on a project. The only reoccurring dream that I have involves the house that I grew up in and a intruder. By reoccurring, I mean that once every few years I dream that there is a large home with many rooms and someone is trying to get into the home. The home becomes a maze of space and usually I have to go to the bathroom and have trouble finding the bathroom.

Well, the other day I dreamed that one of my best friends died. I don't know how, but in the aftermath, I was spending time with her 3 small children, husband, siblings, and parents. I was so happy to awaken and realize it had not actually happened although she lives so far away I couldn't give her a hug. Then, last night, I had two strange dreams. In one, my baby fell down the steep basement stairs in the home I grew up in and he was losing consciousness and had bad bruising. The ambulance, we called, but was far away. I was relieved to awaken and realize my baby was sleeping sweetly right next to me as we had fallen asleep in his brother's, who was sleeping in my bed, bed. I've never felt more at home. And after that, when I went back into my own bed, I dreamed of a mall with an amuzement park, whose ride took me into small spaces and into a sort of tree house (like the Berenstain bears live in which we read about before bed) but not as welcoming. My undergraduate college's president was in the tree and she is severely catholic, yes like a disease. She's a nun actually, a sister, and she was planning to torture me in some way or at least I feared so. And then I awakened again, because of the kids of course. I never get to finish my dreams. I suppose if I did, though, I wouldn't remember them.

The mind cracks me up.

Well, my coffee is done, and the library is now open. I am off to read about stratospheric ozone and oxygen chemistry in light of our global warming crisis. I hope that this exam is not as difficult as the last one. But, I am doing just great. I passed my comprehensive exam and am set to graduate with honors in a couple short months with a Master's in Environmental Science and Technology.

I am glad I took this time to relax and reflect upon myself. I tried to do it last night, but going to yoga proved to be more stressful than it should have been because of the logistics. I ended up driving mostly 2.5 hours not to mention all of the bundling and fighting to get the kids to the grandparents house (sitter) just so I could have an hour of relaxing. Not worth it.

About Me

My photo
Fairbanks/North Pole, Alaska, United States