Growing Like a Weed: Week 3


The baby is beginning his 3rd week of life already! He's really starting to plump up nicely. I'm tempted to bring him to the public health clinic to get a free weight check because his next regular appointment is not until he's one month old. However, his cheeks are more chubby, belly is much more round, he still sleeps great (especially with mom), and he still does not cry unless you undress him. And then, still, he is pretty good. He seems perfectly healthy, and I know he must be close to 7 pounds already (left the hospital at 5lb 4oz), so I'll avoid the waiting room for today and just enjoy him at home.

I've been lounging around a lot, trying not to "overdo it." The only place I've gone (pretty much) besides the 4 baby check-ups I had during baby's 1st week of life is a 1 year olds birthday party at Kaleidoscope Billiards (fun!). There were a lot of cars to drive, cheetos, pizza, juice and ice cream cake to eat. Anyway, this means I wear sweatpants and baggy shirts all of the time. I think I need to spruce up my supply of sweatpants, so a trip to Old Navy is probably in order soon. I also need to go to a craft store and buy some supplies to make my son a flat pillow. Every night when I sneak in to peek at him, he's resting his head on the door of his car bed instead of on the mattress. But, I probably won't do either because if I leave the baby at home, he'll be hungry for my milk, and I don't like hauling him around on unnecessary trips when he's so little. The life of the breast-feeding mother begins once again. Thank goodness for Medela.
My mother-in-law is here to visit for a couple of weeks. I think it's been about a year since she's stayed with us, so she's having quite a fun time taking photos of the boys. Yesterday, she brought our older son to Gymnastics, Inc., where he unsurprisingly hogged the red car with the door that opens and closes like a real car. She has video footage of a girl stealing the car from him, and he was quite a polite little guy throughout the situation. I'm proud of my sweet boy . . . even if he does throw the occasional screaming fit! He's almost 2. What can you do? Anyway, they plan to go to Bonkers Indoor Playground, Barnes and Noble story time (more like to play with the giant train set they have), and 2 year old story time at the library (which also equates to toys . . . and fish . . . hamsters). It's nice to have family come and help out!

Meanwhile, my husband's been chipping away at my and his lists. It's pretty nice. We have 2 giant televisions, which have pretty much served as decoration until yesterday; we now have 8 local channels! I don't imagine I'll be watching much other than Sesame Street. Also, he dusted the fan on the 15 foot ceiling (gross). Installed programmable t-stats upstairs. And a ton of other things . . . today he'll do a few upgrades on some plumbing. This is in addition to doing the brunt of the cooking and cleaning. I've been somewhat productive myself. I've managed to do a little of the baby's cross-stitch that I plan to hang on his wall, finish one of the 7 books I've started, and also keep up with the laundry.

Well, it's time to move this sleeping baby off of my lap, load up the woodstove, and get a bite to eat.

As you can see for yourself, the big brother is doing great and still loves, loves, loves "his baby." He also loves having his gigi around . . . and her tuna fish sandwiches (see his shirt)!

About Me

My photo
Fairbanks/North Pole, Alaska, United States