The Countdown Begins

I'm enjoying a quiet, what has turned out to be an hour, alone by the fire. My husband has assumed the role of "bedtime" duty tonight, which is quite long and lasts usually until 9pm since we started putting our son to sleep in his "big boy car bed." He gets out and wants to play, etc, and is quite smart. Sometimes he'll go to the door and hit it and then run back into his bed and pretend like it wasn't he who made the noise. Plus, he's been sick so the 5am awakenings and request for warm milk have turned into 4am and now 3am and every hour awakenings. I feel today like I'm dying and have a sore throat myself. Pregnancy the second time around, with this little monster at my feet 24/7, is really tough on me and the whole family.

It's November 6th. I feel like the countdown has begun for 1) the end of the semester 2) Christmas and 3) the arrival of our baby boy. Earlier this week, my calendar for November, December, and January was almost completely open, and by today, Friday, almost every week and weekend has something exciting going on. By exciting, I mean swim lessons, exams, a different type of play-date, a holiday party, a double date, a Saturday that grandpa watches his grand-toddler, travel plans for the holidays and for my husband's job . . . that kind of thing. Not really "exciting," but "stuff to do." I am grateful for these things to do, because it is very cold outside and daylight is a thing of the past. I need to socialize or things get hairy.

Anyway, although I like to be busy, the countdown and the plans kind of stress me out. I have my own agenda, which includes a long list of small household projects that I need my husband's help with, preparing the baby's room, redecorating my son's room, and finishing a project for my cousin's baby that has taken much longer than I anticipated. I'm making progress, but slowly. A friend who just moved up here took away a table and chairs and desk, freeing up some space in our house. Today, we replaced the smoke detector batteries, put doorstops on all of our doors, and puttied small holes (dents) in the walls. But, my son, keeping up our household, and doing my schoolwork always come first, so my list seems to become longer before it becomes shorter.

About Me

My photo
Fairbanks/North Pole, Alaska, United States