This is My Dilemma.


So, we've been ordering this certified organic food box from Washington state for about 6 months now.  It costs $48 per small box, and we get a small box every other week.  I think $12 of it is shipping, and the other $36 is for the food.  By the time the food hits my countertop, something is always going bad, like a soft onion, a moldy orange or brown, soggy greens.  You absolutely have to use "fresh/green/Evert" bags to make the stuff last.  There're a lot of things in the box that I need recipes to cook and that I would not normally purchase, because I've either never heard of them or some (e.g. red dandelion greens) are really not that good in my opinion.  And, I think I can probably buy organic food at Fred Meyer or Safeway for a better price.  

So, why do we buy this?  The real reason is that I don't always want to have to wash pesticides off of my food, and if I shop in the store I'm going to buy non-organic because there are a lot more options and it is a lot less expensive.  But, more importantly, I hate going to the grocery store.  These fruits and veggies really cut down my shopping time, and they are insurance that my composting red wiggler worms will have plenty of scraps to eat.  It's amazing what we'll pay to avoid a burden like grocery shopping.

Plus, gardening in Fairbanks is a lost cause.  I'm embarrassed to show this.  My carrots and green onions may never mature.  And the lettuce and radishes were overgrown when we returned from vacation.
What is wrong with my beans, anyway?
Not that they'll feed me or anything, but at least the new trees are thriving.

About Me

My photo
Fairbanks/North Pole, Alaska, United States