It's Time for Hot Licks.

We're back from our splendid vacation on the farm, where I grew up, in Minnesota (pictures to come).  

I have one major gripe. How hard is it to feed my dog 1/2 cup of his dog food twice a day? I mean, the guy I used to work with who has pugs would let him eat dog food continually, so he would gain 30% of his weight in less than 2 weeks. This is the same guy who feeds his dogs bacon and eggs for their birthdays. My in-laws can't resist table feeding; plus, the last time he came back he was limping for about a month. And my husband's friend's place is good, but dirty. There are other dogs, big dogs. He comes back with an infected face (okay that's what happens to pugs who play outside a lot), but this time with severe vomiting and diarrhea as well. One of the big dogs apparently got into Harley's allotment of food, and who knows what Harley ate to compensate.

On the bright side, despite the fact that it maybe only rained once while we were gone, the place is greener than ever. My husband's grandma took care of the newly planted trees and garden, and I think the retired neighbor's to the left snuck the river pump and fire hose on our yard daily, because the lawn has not ever looked this good before! And, as a bonus, the retired neighbors to the right mowed their entire lawn. The wife likes it to grow wild, supposedly for geese, and every time she goes to the lower 48 her husband mows it :) It looks much better mowed.

I'm not really as pleased to be back as I thought I would be. Yes, I'm glad to have my dog back, puke, poop and all. And I'm very happy to sleep in my king-sized foam bed. I'm excited to see my play-date friends. But, other than that, I could leave it. The summer is winding down. Forest fires smoke has replaced our clean air.  And the town of Fairbanks leaves much to be desired.  

But, now that my errands are done, there are some summer favorites I will hit up tomorrow:  the Egyptian Felafel Stand and Hot Licks Ice Cream Shop.

About Me

My photo
Fairbanks/North Pole, Alaska, United States