My husband and I survived Kesugi Ridge, Denali State Park. About 20 miles, close to 5,000 feet in elevation gain, 35-50 pound packs in a day and half. There was wind, sun, but no rain. It was challenging and cold and windy, but it was gorgeous. We didn't see any other campers. It was amazing. I have bruises on my clavicles and hip fronts to prove it. I took 2 naps today and can barely go down the stairs without yelping in pain. It was our first backpacking trip together. It was the first time we left our son overnight. We missed him (and Harley even) terribly, but it was worth it.
Little Coal Creek trail ascends through dense spruce and crosses a beaver dam.
Ferns, blueberry bushes, and other greenery crowd the path.
Before you know it, you've ascended 2,500 feet and are on Kesugi Ridge.
Yes, there was snow . . .
and large rocks to hop. I felt like I needed a granola bar after each section of
these pesky rocks, because I burned so many calories trying to balance.
But, after each climb, there was a spectacular valley.
Beef stroganoff, coffee, hot chocolate, tea,
a good night's sleep for some
but not for all (pesky sunlight I hate you)
By the way, it is visible along almost this entire trail.
Day 2: These blueberry bushes sure have roots a lot crazier
than the ones on my berry farm growing up in Minnesota.
If you look closely, you can see the trail along the ridge. This section was a bit hairy.
It was grizzly country too. I was thankful we brought a gun.
We like to call this "Hidden Valley."
Checking the GPS
This is about where I thought Ermine Hill Trail should break off.
Pumping/filtering water for the 4th and last time
Nervous and tired, but it's just so pretty
4 hours later: Finally, here is where the trail splits! Thank Goodness! I'm pointing to the trail to Byer's Lake. We went right instead. We finished at 9 p.m. It took us 20 minutes to get picked up as hitchhikers, because tourists are jerks (thank goodness for German-Alaskans). I actually cried toward the end of those 20 minutes because I didn't want to walk another 8 miles (with pack) along the Parks Highway to our car. We made it home by 2 a.m. I love to hike, but hate to camp on a Thermarest, especially in sunlight. My own bed felt really nice, if only for 3 hours until the baby woke me :) Grandpa (babysitter) had left at 5 a.m., once he realized we had come home early! He later reported that the baby asked for us, but stayed busy and happy regardless of our absence.