Minnesota Trip Number . . . 13

We are in Alaska, now.  My daughter is sitting next to me on the recliner, in the dark, in front of the woodstove.  She is so content to just sit with me, lie down with me, hang with me.  I wonder how long these days will last.  During the last month she has become so much more aware and strong; within the next month, she will have her first food and she will be sitting and soon after that crawling.  Although she still likes to cuddle now, soon she might not like to sit tight, and I will miss that.  It is 7:30 in the morning and it is just getting light outside.  We are taking advantage of the fact that it's our third day back home and first morning where the boys haven't been up at 5:00 in the morning (8:00 Central Standard Time).  I guess I jinxed myself, because right as I was typing that last sentence they awakened; the lights are on, and their chatter has already made it very noisy in the house.  Our just-turned-three-year-old asked me to put on his belt; he is pretending to be the dad.  Our almost-five year old is pretending to be the grandpa, wearing a batman costume, both shooting pretend birds with plastic pistols.  Their imaginations are still outstanding.

A sleigh ride
I think it's safe to say that we felt completely at home at our home-away-from-home in Minnesota.  I did not miss late January or February in central Alaska, at all.  The weather was nice while we were gone but not as nice as it was in MN and of course the sunshine was not as strong.  There was one day in Minnesota when the boys and grandpa were grooming ski trails with the snow machine that I just sat on the south porch, opened my coat, took off my hat and sat in the warm sunshine.  I am pretty sure that was the warmest the sun has made me since July.  The first few times I skied the trails, I became incredibly hot.  The day that we had our son's third birthday party, which included sledding, it was 30 degrees, which was 80 degrees warmer than it was at home in Alaska.  People who say it's cold and dark in Minnesota just don't know what they're talking about, especially now that snow is more rare and the summer climate is warmer too.  I think it's something Alaskan say to justify their choice to live here.

Our four year old son goofing off for 30 minutes in front of
100 people at one of grandpa's retirement parties
Things are a little different each time we visit Minnesota, but basically the same.  As the kids grow (and as we have more kids), the spare bedrooms are rearranged to accommodate them.  My parents have things figured out and therefore had the details taken care of before we arrived.  Mom had prepared a respite for the boys in the basement, complete with happy hour peanut crushing area, craft area, and free play area.  We all split the kitchen duties.  I missed my dishwasher, but having four cooks in the house vs the one and a half I have at home, and having mom there to make our beds and do our laundry more than made up that inconvenience.  And now that my dad is retired, we are able to spend even more time with him so that is the icing on the cake.

Almost three and first walk down the diving board
Like at home, life in Minnesota was pretty laid back.  I am dreading next year, when I may (or may not) have to drive our son to school each day and pick him up.  Getting three children ready to go early in the morning, is not my style, at least not yet, and I'm starting to think Kindergarten is overrated.  The day we were in Minnesota that I started this blog post (and obviously didn't get very far), we made sourdough muffins for breakfast and then headed to the nearest post office, about 7 miles away, to mail Valentine bracelets the boys had made for their friends home in Alaska.  We tried to visit the thrift shop, but it was closed.  My husband finished his homework, while one boy napped and while the other hung up a bird house, plowed snow, and fed the chickens and horses with grandpa.  Yes, we have now been to MN 13 times and my parents have been up here 13 times (in about 8 years) ... and the visits do not get any less excellent as time passes.

Our well-behaved crew and our stuff;  my first time flying with three children
Well, you can tell it's difficult to blog with three children.  My thoughts are pretty scattered.  But, I wanted to get something down before the warm feelings of Minnesota are gone and I am completely back into reality.  I spent yesterday going through mail and this morning on the telephone dealing with paperwork.  I have been doing laundry and makign bone broth and am about to start a batch of nut granola and I hope start on the fun stuff ... the braided rug, the quilt, and a purse.  I am not sure how much time I will have.  I have to do some extra research on vaccines and camera lenses plus I have a few brand new books sitting here that I am itching to read.  Winter is coming to a close.  This next month will be consumed by camping and as soon as summer arrives, I will not want to be inside at all.   

About Me

My photo
Fairbanks/North Pole, Alaska, United States