One Month Reflection

Largest Carrot
Dear daughter, you are one month old already.

You arrived at 38 Weeks, 1 Day, on Monday September 10, 2012.  My parents arrived on the airplane from Minnesota.  It froze the night they arrived, so as they settled in, we froze frozen green tomatoes, harvested carrots, and picked high-bush cranberries.  The next day, I tried to stay on my feet and suggested we go for a hike at Creamer's Field.  We walked a mile or two, much much more than I had walked in months.  That night, I went into labor and after 3 hours of labor and 45 minutes of delivery, you entered this world "perfect," they said, at 7 pounds 7 ounces, 20 inches long.  You drank mom's milk for an hour and a half immediately after you arrived and found your finger within the first couple of days to calm yourself as you were being changed.  You surpassed your birth weight by one week of age and by two weeks had already gained close to a pound.  You have short dark brown hair, blue eyes, a scrunched up nose, pinned back ears, and a very chubby face.

Creamer's Field Wildlife Refuge
You have been a good sleeper since your birth, napping long stretches and going to bed at bedtime each night.  Still, the last month sort of seems like one long day.  Maybe that's because I am holding onto it so tightly, trying to cherish every single moment and freeze time.  I tried to do the same with your brothers too, but the fact is that I have forgotten the little things and even some of the big things.

I love the way that you purr when you are sleeping, sighing in your cute little baby girl voice during each exhale, the chirping sound that your throat makes as you quickly inhale air after each gulp of milk, the fantastic sugar and oil smell of your head, the fuzzy blonde fur on your skin, and the chubs around your neck that are so thick I can barely get in there with my tiny fingers to clean and dry them.  I will try not to forget the way that you laugh in your light sleep, how you gaze at your biggest brother in adoration when he holds and sings to you ... and how he gazed in adoration at you when he met you for the first time.  I will try not to forget the way that you calm down and pucker your lips just before you make an explosion in your diaper, how you groan and grunt and stretch each morning for about an hour as you are awakening.  Most nights, you are awake for several hours before bedtime, but you are not very grumpy.  You calm down if I hold you, rub your forehead, or sing to you.

One Hour
Due to your good behavior, I have a decent amount of energy.  I have only felt like having one nap since your birth.  I am able to make meals almost every day, keep the house clean, bring all three of you to the museum or library, and still have enough energy to enjoy my husband and the kids at the end of the day.  A lot of this is due to the good food and rest that I received during the last month of my pregnancy (kudos to my husband there!) and to my parents help (lots of dishwashing and laundry and getting up early with the boys!) around here during the first month of my healing after childbirth.  Taking care of three kiddos requires a lot of energy.  There are a lot of butts to wipe, clothes to hang and fold, dishes to prepare and clean, and crafts to facilitate.  I am already able to fit into my pre-pregnancy jeans due to this.  I'm not talking about my pre-first pregnancy pants which were incredibly slim, but my pre-third pregnancy pants ... although you will more often see me still wearing 20ish week maternity pants because they are more comfortable at the end of the day.

One Week
I have been starting to realize recently that you will soon be a girl and then a woman and not forever a sweet baby with a closet packed full of tiny pink oufits and a basket full of tiny white diapers.  I am sure that you will be excited about the outdoors like your brothers (who for example asked me yesterday if they can display the spare set of moose antlers on their bedroom wall).  You might preserve berries, go moose camping, and stack wood.  You may even like pirates and knights.  But, there are some things that moms and girls can do that moms and boys cannot.  I will likely french braid your hair, make you dresses out of your daddy's old button-up shirts, take you to dance class, and teach you to knit.  I know your daddy always wanted a little girl and for sure all of your grandmas (especially the greats:  Carol and Jan) had been waiting for you also.

About Me

My photo
Fairbanks/North Pole, Alaska, United States