LOVE


I LOVE the age that my kids are right now: 13 months and 35 months. The younger of the two is agile and communicative enough that he can play baby games, and the older is innocent enough that he still finds joy in the same games. So, they play together: wrestling, tickling, invading each others' space, but also cars, animals, peek a boo, telephone, tools, whatever. It is amazing the number of games the baby can play with only the words, "Ya" (nods head), "mama," "da" (dad), "hi," and "Aaah" (squeal of disapproval). And, they play separately too. The baby empties my purse and tosses a ball around the house, while the toddler asks, "What did the baby put into his mouth, mommy?" And, "I'm playing garbage truck, mommy," while filling a plastic bag with blocks and animals, for example. They play like this together, and apart, for hours. I have to intervene very little sometimes.

I made it through the hard stretch, I think. It was definitely hard on my body to have two kids this close together, but I think the years lost to exhaustion are well worth the quality of the years to come. It is nice to have kids who can enjoy the same activities, nap together, share the same room. I hope this will make all innings, outings, and vacations more enjoyable for everyone in the family.

The toddler is quite fluent in the English language finally and also a good boy. So, when I ask him to say get me a baby wipe so I can wipe his butt, while I'm breastfeeding the baby to sleep at night, he'll do it. He's a boy, so I may have to ask him several times or try other tactics to keep him focused on the task at hand especially if the task is quite complicated, but his intentions are good and it gets done. He is a great little helper and even insists on helping when his help is not always wanted by mom and dad.

If one boy does something, the other boy has to do it too. We have no problem communicating. I never had to teach the baby "no" or "yes" or "more" or "milk." He learned it on his own. Once they're doing an activity together, whether it is playing dinosaurs, eating crackers, getting a vitamin D drop, getting their photo taken with a pair of silly glasses on, you name it, their smiles are as big as can be.

I love to see them learn to walk. I love to see them fight. I love to hear the things they say. I love to see them learn. I love that I'm the mom, who helps them heal and grow. I love my little miracles and how they've changed my days.

With that said, we have a disagreement over a pair of plastic pliars, so I should go lend a hand.

It's been a long, busy week and as much as I love these little guys to death, I'm looking forward to a break. I like to let my guard down every couple of days and give myself a chance to recharge and remember that being a mom is the best job in the world.

About Me

My photo
Fairbanks/North Pole, Alaska, United States