R.I.P. Scooter

I didn't mention it, but we actually had 3 deaths in the family this fall. I think it's worth mentioning because I think the last death was my paternal grandmother's back in 2004. I often wish I had known my grandma Mabel at this time in my life as I am old enough to value more the stories she could have told me and her sewing talents. But, I am happy we have some of her embroidery work and also some bibs and quilts that she made to cherish and use for my boys. My mom says Mabel always thought I was going to have a girl. The Kvasnicka's are overwhelmingly boys. I guess she was wrong about that or else I am in for a surprise!

Anyway, this fall first my paternal aunt had a heart attack. I was able to attend the gravesite memorial at riverside cemetery because I happened to be visiting MN in August after it happened. And then my maternal aunt's husband had lethal pneumonia. And then, the part I didn't mention, my second cousin (my dad's 1st . . . actually his wife is my dad's 1st) had a stroke in a deer stand out behind my parents' house. He made his way back to the house, my dad brought him to a local hospital, they airlifted him to a larger one, where his outlook was great, but he ended up passing away 2 weeks later in the hospital after having seizures. His funeral I was also able to attend; it was beautiful and humorous Catholic ceremony as he had quite the sense of humor. His family spoke fondly of deer-hunting, an annual tradition for many of the Kvasnicka men to travel to my parents' place to camp and hunt, eat and play dice, saying he passed away doing one of the things he loved most.

I learned during my last visit to MN that my great grandfather Joseph passed away in the hospital shortly after his horse ran over him while he was working in the fields just left of the tan shed you see behind my son. A friend Gunner Hedberg brought him in to the hospital (my dad learned of this only several years ago when Gunner's wife Arlene (both gone now) came out to pick blueberries at my parents' place). And shortly after his death, my great-grandmother Mary left the rural farm to work in the twin cities, where she became the nanny for the Dayton family. The Dayton family started the Minneapolis-based Dayton's, one of the leading department stores in the U.S. for nearly a century. You probably know them now as Dayton (merged with Hudson) = Target. Anyway, I presume when my grandmother left, the homestead's (house built in 1914) ownership left the family for a short time. I also learned that my grandfather Carl's, who continued to farm there, brother Felix (prior to founding O.K. Construction) also tried to homestead the land at the south end of my parents' property (where my parents' log cabin stands), but without luck. Mom and dad, please comment, correct, and add anything I relayed incorrectly.
Anyway, you never know when is the last time you're going to see somebody on earth. My friend Lisa was telling me the other night that this past fall she went to visit her 4 healthy grandparents. During the visit, she audio recorded stories that they told to her. The next week, her grandfather had a stroke and died.

This was my toddler's last walk out to see his grandparents' horse Scooter. He didn't know any of the family members I spoke of whom passed away recently, but he knew the horse. Scooter's is the first death in "his" family, and I have a feeling it's going to be quite a while before he forgets him. But, I am sure he will forget eventually unless we keep his memories fresh. My first grandparent passed away, Carl, when I was 2 also, and I do not have any memories of him.

My maternal grandfather, Edwin, I remember passing away at my young age of 5. I remember people breaking a window because it wouldn't open (I didn't know why at the time) to get fresh air into the Duquette hall where he had a stroke. I remember wondering why is grandma not crying but my mom is and I remember my grandmother being upset that they would not let her ride in the ambulance. I remember, as a shy child, being most upset that my parents left my side and state of MN Senator Becky Lourey, a family friend, picked me up and held me instead. Prior to that day, I remember my grandfather sitting in his chair after church on Sundays, when we went over to their house for lunch. He called me "Schnicklefritz," a name I think scandinavians often give to young children of whom they are fond. I remember my grandparents had a small trampoline in the living room. I put a piece of paper onto the trampoline and drew a rainbow on it with a pencil, which left perforations because of the mesh of the trampoline surface. (I must have done this more than once to remember it so well). I asked my grandfather to punch out the rainbow, which he happily did. He played the accordion too. My grandparents were great polka dancers, and most of my memories of my grandmother who passed away about 10 years later of cancer surround her dancing and her photography and her amazing ability to find family connections and make friends wherever she went. My aunt Laurie, her youngest daughter has this same talent with people.

Enough thinking back for now. The baby has awakened. But, I think it may be time to take another trip out to the East Coast to see some family.

About Me

My photo
Fairbanks/North Pole, Alaska, United States