Transition to Winter


The transition to winter is slow this year. The orange leaves hung on the birch and aspen for quite a long time this fall, 3-4 weeks I would say. During this time, we did an awful lot of hiking. Our baby at 7 - 8 months was just big enough to ride on my back in the Ergo, and our 2.5 year old was just small enough that my husband could carry him in the Kelty pack. It'll be interesting how we will travel next year. I anticipate that I will carry our food, the eldest boy will walk and the new toddler will graduate to my husband's back. On the left is the very last hike we did as a family this year. It was also the last day that the trees held onto their leaves.




The next day, it became cold. And a few days later, I got my wish albeit the leaves rustling in the wind. At 31 degrees, my husband and I and two friends took our kayaks out on the upper chena for a few hours. I wore 4 pair of wool socks under my rubber boots, goretex lined pants over long underwear, 2 warm polyester shirts plus a hooded fleece, hooded gortex jacket, life jacket, and wool hat. I was warm until the end, when it became quite breezy and started snowing on us. During the 8 mile jaunt, my husband and I definitely improved our tandem kayak skills, roughed up the bottom of the kayak quite a bit, and saw some pretty sights, while ice formed on the sides of the river.

The next week, it warmed back up to the 50s and 60s Now, 2 weeks later and heading into mid-october, it is still warm enough that we can hit the playgrounds and be comfortable without winter gear. I have no complaints about this slow transition to fall. Winter is long enough as it is up here in Fairbanks, Alaska.

About Me

My photo
Fairbanks/North Pole, Alaska, United States