Darkness

It is getting really dark up in Fairbanks, and it isn't even Thanksgiving yet. The shortest and darkest day will be sometime around December 21st. Thanks to my husband having to travel out of state for work for a week, I decided to not only be gone for 10 days in December, but to leave for the whole month. My son and I will be in Minnesota with family and then we'll all travel to Vancouver for a short Christmas vacation.

I'm not really a warm-weather beach fan unless the trip is incredibly remote or expensive and I have an area all to myself and I hate traveling with kids for longer than a day, so vacations just a day south combined with family suit me well. After all, if it's -40 here in Fairbanks, it is probably at least 40, maybe even 80, degrees warmer in Minnesota or Vancouver. Plus, compared to Fairbanks, Minnesota has about 4 and a half more hours of daylight per day. I'd say that's a great place to visit!

Until my trips, I am dealing with the lack of heat and light as best I can. To say people up here are grumpy, sad, etc is an understatement. It's universal. Strangely enough though, I have had a burst of energy lately and have been trying to finish up a bunch of projects. Here's me yesterday in a rush to finish touching up our walls before it became too dark to see anything. The sun was starting to set already in North Pole, AK: only 2:00 pm. But, from 10-2, it was a beautiful, clear day at -30F . . . crystal clear blue skies, pink mountains in the background, and delicately frosted white trees.

About Me

My photo
Fairbanks/North Pole, Alaska, United States